CONTAIN is aimed at specifying and demonstrating a European Shipping Containers Surveillance system in a global context which will encompass regulatory, policy and standardisation recommendations, new business models and advanced container security management capabilities.
CONTAIN promotes the use of appropriate container security sensors providing monitoring and tracking data which are fused with additional information sources in order to identify high-risk containers that should be more carefully monitored and investigated. To ensure adoption by stakeholders, the solutions balance costs with benefits for the parties that adopt the necessary upgrading of their processes.
The cornerstone of the CONTAIN approach is an EU Containers Surveillance Framework (ECSF) which guideS the development of the CONTAIN Core Capabilities which will include:
- Upgraded Container Monitoring Solutions capable of providing permanent and reliable localisation as well as information on the integrity and content of containers;
- A Situational Awareness Support Platform that facilitate the development of innovative, configurable and highly automated distributed information management applications guaranteeing and safeguarding the information chain on container movements at sea and on land that impact on security, border control, the environment and European trade and economic interests;
- CONTAIN Decision Support Services that exploit the extended container monitoring and tracking information to optimise container transport related processes both in terms of security performance and efficiency and quality of container transport services.
Key outputs include:
Communication and Information Security
“…produce a flexible security architecture covering the whole system…”
The CONTAIN security architecture exploits Content-Based Security (CBS) to fulfil requirements for secure, cross-domain communications:
- Protects data at application layer (transport independent)
- Data may be transported freely (even over insecure channel)
- Access is controlled by the security framework (clients apply for unprotected representation, or decryption key)
- Provides a standard API through which all producers and consumers of data within ECSF interact with the information security framework
Semantic Toolset Supporting Interoperability and Visibility
A container security specific semantic toolset to facilitate:
- shared understanding within the CONTAIN software applications and libraries;
- support the implementation of a Smart Semantic Space.