With the explosion of the Internet combined with cloud technology, it has become more possible for consumers to plan and book their journeys using desktops, tablets and smartphones. However, customers making multi-modal trips are required to make multiple bookings with different transport or travel stakeholders and re-key their preferences and details for each transaction. Therefore, the onus is on the consumers to create their own journey planer and save their bookings on separate files rather than having them held together on one itinerary and booking confirmation, leading to journeys that may not be the optimal solution for their needs.
The EuTravel vision is to contribute towards the realisation of a sustainable and open single European market for mobility services by:
1. Enabling travel users (both businesses and private) to easily organise a door-to-door pan- European multimodal trip in accordance with their own set of criteria including environmental performance;
2. Providing multimodal travel service providers an easy and cost effective way to deliver optimal customised services to cater for any type of specialised multimodal travel needs;
3. Supporting policy decision making by contributing to the implementation of standards and regulations and facilitating fact-based EU policy making.
The project objectives will be realised by:
1. Developing an open and readily usable Optimodality Framework aimed at integrating processes, data, and systems in a manner that eliminates interoperability barriers to the market place emergence of truly Optimodal travel services: from planning through booking and the full range of related travel support solutions.
2. Delivering Optimodality Ecosystem Enablers, offering an open infrastructure that allows organisations to set up cost- effective integration of existing systems and to create value added multimodal travel services.
3. Organising and developing a Living Lab to experiment and evaluate new concepts and prototype solutions in real life multimodal travel scenarios and obtain data to quantify impact.
4. Taking actions towards sustainable development including a Stakeholder Engagement Strategy and wide dissemination. EuTravel, unlike other projects/initiatives, will deliver an Ecosystem promoting and supporting Optimodal travel that will have higher chances of success as it will be populated with tools that tap into existing mainstream IT travel reservation systems and sources of data.